You are advised to work steadily through Section 1 and 2 (the multiple-choice sections) without spending too much time on any one question. Read all the alternative answers to a question, even if you think you have identified the correct one, before marking your choice on the answer sheet. If you think you know the answer to a question, mark it, even if you are not certain. Go on to the next question and come back later if you have time.
- All questions have the same value, therefore by attempting as many questions as possible you have the best chance of maximising your score.
- Marks will not be deducted for incorrect answers.
- All questions are of equal value, but may vary in difficulty.
- If you mark more than one answer to a question it will be considered wrong.
- Answers should be marked directly onto the answer sheet, not in the test booklet.
- Please use a pencil to mark your answer on the answer sheet for Section 1 and 2.
- You may do rough work in the margins of your test booklet. Scrap paper is not allowed.
Section 3 Written Communication consists of an exercise requiring synthesis of graphically presented information relating to social issues and a reflective essay. To prepare yourself for this section, you are advised to read widely. Understand and analyse what you are reading. Look for the implied meaning in what you read. You can then apply your ideas into interesting pieces of writing for this section. Assessment focuses on the way in which ideas are integrated into a purposeful and relevant response to the tasks. You will not be assessed on the correctness of the ideas or attitudes you display. You will need to use a black or blue pen for this section.
You are advised to have lunch before reporting to the test centre, as you will be occupied for many hours. You will not be allowed to take any food or drink, other than bottled water, into the test room unless permission has been granted by the HPAT-Ulster Office in advance for medical reasons. You will not be allowed to leave the test centre before the test has officially finished.